Gluten free peeps . . . I LOVE THIS QUICHE! Mozzarella and cherry tomatoes and garlic and savory hash browns. Seriously, so much love. The fact that it’s healthy is a nice bonus.
Quiche is one of those foods that makes me think of being together with people I love–drinking coffee, passing trays of pastries and fruit around the table, lots of voices and laughter. My latest quiche-scapade was at a close friend’s house, where we ate too much and savored every bite and talked for hours.
The only time I ever made a quiche myself, it was for five of my hubby’s cousins–beautiful, fun, silly teenage girls. Hilarity ensued.
I wasn’t gluten free then. But after searching quiche recipes online, this is the one that I picked–and now, post-diagnosis, it’s still something I can make! Score.
This recipe is perfect for me–a mom to a busy 1-year-old and a not-very-experienced baker. For the crust, I literally thawed two cups’ worth of hash browns from the bag, pressed them into a prepared pie plate, and stuck it in the oven.
Mmm. It’s 3 in the afternoon, and I’m already excited to eat the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.
The original recipe is here at http://diethood.com/hashbrowns-spinach-tomato-pie/ Thank you to the author for sharing this naturally gluten-free goodness with the world!
Gluten-free nonstick spray
2 cups gluten free hash browns, thawed
1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes (I used sungolds)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup whole milk (or skim, if you want it healthier)
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray your pie plate, press the hash browns evenly into the bottom, and bake for 10-15 minutes. (The original recipe calls for 8 minutes, but mine needed a little longer to get some crispness to it.)
2. Remove from the oven, top evenly with 1/2 cup of mozzarella, and set aside.
3. Sauté the tomatoes (and any other veggies) in the skillet for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Then spread out the vegetables evenly over the crust.
4. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour over the vegetables and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden.
6. Eat and be happy!!!